How do you optimize your website for ranking high in the search engines? This is a question to which every webmaster and blogger would love to know the answer. Setting up a site or blog isn’t hard at all. The hard part is promoting a website or blog. A lot of time and effort needs to be spent on maintaining an online business and on search engine optimization.
If you’re a webmaster and want to make money online, you need to get people to visit your website. You could create the best page in the world, but it will be worthless if nobody ever sees it! There are billions of other web pages out on the world wide web, so if you want people to see yours, you need to learn about SEO and other marketing techniques.
Internet users all use search engines everyday to find all the information they need about any subject. All one has to do is type in a word or phrase and POOF! Countless results will show up. In order to provide users exactly what they want, webmasters must prepare and optimize their sites for the search engines. As easy as it is to search for a website, it’s quite the opposite to create and maintain one. The sites that appear on the first page or two of Google’s search results are the most visited ones. It can be really hard for other pages to compete. In order to get to the top of the list, you need to prepare your site as best you can. Here are some SEO tips:
- Stick with short, easy keywords. Internet users aren’t going to waste their time typing in a keyword phase more than a few words long. They’re not always specific, either. They will type a few, short general words regarding the type of information they’re searching. As such, you need to optimize your webpage with the simplest keywords possible. This is critical when trying to make money online.
- Add a few misspelled keywords on your site as well. Sometimes people get in a hurry when searching and make a typo. Some people just don’t know how to spell altogether. You don’t want to add too many misspelled keywords, though, as you don’t want them to make your site appear less professional. Try making them appear as if they’re just typos.
- Have A LOT of content on your site! The more content you have, the better. However, it needs to be well written and informative. Break the articles down into sections and use bullet points whenever possible. It’s easier for people to read lists than it is to read paragraphs. Also, make the keyword placement appear natural. Don’t go overboard with them. Your visitors will want to read ABOUT the keywords—not the keywords themselves – much like you, they are trying to make money online!
- Getting a bunch of backlinks is important. Add as many internal links as you can. Make sure all of your pages are interlinked. The anchor text should consist of important keywords. A few external links won’t hurt either, just as long as those sites contain backlinks to yours.
- Don’t forget that some people might find your site through Google image searches. Name all of the pictures and graphics on your website with keywords. Even the small graphics such as dividers should have descriptive names and tags.
- Don’t forget about the title and name of each page. You’ll be surprised at the number of webmasters who forget to add keywords to the title! Also, name each and every page of your site with keywords. If you’re writing a review on a book about small business success, save the page as yoursite.com/small_business_success.html. For example, look at this MMA Pound for Pound website’s URL structure. Notice how the keyword appears in the URL, title and name of the page.
- Follow all of these tips in order to optimize your site for the search engines and hopefully you’ll end up with a top ranking! Keep in mind that SEO can take months to work, so you shouldn’t expect organic overnight. However, following the aforementioned tips will help speed things up.